Marijuana and Cannabis News
By Steve Elliott ~alapoet~ in News
Monday, January 7, 2013 at 11:52 am
|Michael Safiotti -- in jail for marijuana -- died after jail workers served him oatmeal containing dairy products, then refused to help him when he had an allergic reaction. The Snohomish County Sheriff's Department recommends that nobody be charged. How convenient for them!|
Witnesses testified that jail guards mocked the young man as he lay dying, but the Sheriff's Office announced last week that it would not recommend any charges against guards or staff for the tragedy, reports Jon Humbert at KOMO 4.
Saffioti died of what his mother, Rose Saffioti, believes was a severe allergic reaction; he is allergic to dairy products. He'd had run-ins with the law over marijuana and needed to turn himself in last July after missing a court date.
His mother said her son only wanted to serve his time, as he had done before. She said that she had made it clear to jail authorities, every time, that he is allergic to milk.
"They have a huge medical chart," Rose said. "Michael was transported for an allergic reaction before from that unit."
After meeting with detectives several times, Rose learned that Michael had been given oatmeal that may have contained milk -- specifically against the medical alerts.
"He got up, got breakfast, needed to use the inhaler twice, kept calling for medical," Rose said.
Michael died that morning.
Even though the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office spinelessly declined to suggest filing criminal charges against anyone, an "internal review" (read: whitewash) will follow.
Saffioti believes the system failed her son; she wants changes and some sense of justice.
"It's your responsibility to take care of the basic human needs of someone who's incarcerated and can't help themselves," Rose said.
The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office did not respond to calls or emails regarding the Saffioti case. The department issued a lame press release claiming an "internal investigation" is "still proceeding."
The Snohomish County medical examiner said Michael died of bronchial asthma... as the mocking voices of the jailers rang in his ears.
The main telephone number for the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office is 425.388.3393 or 1.800.562-4367.