Oregon pro-pot activist Paul Stanford has announced he will not have enough signatures to get his legalization proposal on the November ballot.
Stanford made the announcement last week on his Cannabis Common Sense internet show, saying it would be impossible to collect the needed signatures by the July 3 deadline and blamed much of it on the popularity of another legalizaiton measure from New Approach which has received widespread funding support.
Stanford’s proposal would have allowed adults 21 and up to possess up to a pound and a half of herb at any time. The New Approach plan limits home possession to a half-pound and public possession to one ounce.
We have decided, given that we were just at about 50,000 signatures, that we do not have the wherewithal to move forward and qualify for the ballot so we stopped this week our paid petition drive,” Stanford said in his video. “Initiative 53 is still out there… I liked ours better, but the big multimillionaire funders out there didn’t so they backed I-53.”
Stanford says he collected about 50,000 of the 116,284 signatures needed.
The New Approach plan seems on track for the ballot, however. New Approach spokesman Peter Zuckerman tells OregonLive.com that they could submit their signatures to the secretary of state this week for verification.